Friday 11 June 2010

Jewels of my eyes

So, as any of you who follow me on twitter will know (MissSisiG for those who don’t yet), last night I enjoyed my first Pimms of the summer at Treasure exhibition as part of London Jewellery week. I had that Thursday feeling (ya know, the opp. of that Friday one) so nearly didn’t go...but by golly I’m happy I did. As you all should know by now bling is my thing, and to use a much over-used cliché (which in itself is probably one!) I was like a kid in a candy shop. There was just so much beauty, aspiration, creativity and general fabulousness all in one room – it was so up-lifting and inspirational. There’s still a chance to go down and take a look for yourself, but for those of you in far-off lands…and those in London who are too lazy to get the bus into town – here’s my lowdown of the Top ten designers to watch and spend your pennies with!


Amanda Brighton
This Anglo-Tibetan jeweller makes uber-luxe fine jewellery with a playful, almost gaudy edge. I just LOVE this Dolce Vita Onyx ring with amethyst and pink sapphires set in 18k gold. Me me me!


Sarah HK Park
Slightly strange, almost aquatic creations predominantly made from gold plated silver and glass – so prices are much lower than you’d expect (although she also does commissions in which case you can choose more expensive materials). Really good for birthday presents me thinks!


Sarah Herriot Design
Really strong architectural pieces – perfect for making a bold statement. I particularly love this 18ct gold Manhattan egg ring half twist. I think it’s entrancing, and has a wonderful sense of movement. Beautiful.


Rebecca Steiner
Really neat, precise, delicate fine jewellery, such as this very very pretty 18 carat gold necklace with a basket of pearls, £650. Yummy!


Jessica de Lotz
Looking for something more than a little different….maybe even slightly crazy? Then look no further than Jessica de Lotz – one girl with one crazy imagination and vision. From blinking eye cocktail rings with black diamond eyes, to apple core necklaces, it’s more of an experience than a piece of jewellery!


Elinor Voytal
Elinor is a trained textile designer, and creates beautiful Missoni-esque fine knits which she brings together with hard metals and crystals to create beautiful, original pieces. No idea's original, but Elinor’s work is about as close as it gets!


Yumeko Yamada
Really strong sculptural pieces, beautifully made. I tried on this pearl ring, and can honestly say it was the most comfortable ring I’ve ever worn (and believe me, these here fingers have tried a few)!


Ye Ji Kim
Ye Ji’s pieces are quite reminiscent of Alexis Bittar’s work – but I think that’s a good thing as I’m a massive Bittar fan. Her pieces are quite aggressive, but I think they’d be easy to wear everyday, and also to incorporate with other pieces of jewellery. Can’t wait to see what she’ll do next!


Joanna Dahdah
Like many of the exhibitors Joanna is a recent Central St Martins graduate, and this, unbelievably is her debut collection, inspired by Gustav Klimt’s paintings; definitely someone I’ll be keeping an eye on!


Jayce Wong
Did you know that 1/3 of diamonds and top coloured rubies are naturally fluorescent? No, me neither! Well they are, and these are the precious stones Jayce Wong works with to create her incredible ‘glowing’ pieces. She’s already stocked at Kabiri, so check her out! I’m totally mesmerised by this Spiral ring, £800....am thinking it would make a brilliant and different engagement ring – no?

Best of the rest


Forget up-lights, down-lights and spotlights – when it comes to impressive lighting look no further than Penelope Batley’s Big Bling Necklace Light - A-MA-ZING! Mr T, eat your heart out!



Finally a MASSIVE congratulations to the lovely girls at the Gaudion Bowerbank boutique who won the ‘designer of the year award’ last night. Their wonderful online boutique is home to a handful of brilliant jewellery designers including New Yorker Heather Kosch, who mainly works with exotic woods. Check. Them. Out – that’s an order!

Signing off for now.

Sisi G xx

No comments:

Post a Comment